CyberSecurity: The goals are simple: safety and security
Before introducing the term cybersecurity, let’s discuss what the word “security” is in general? What comes to mind once you hear the word “security”?
From our daily life, we implement the security process into many fields such as “going to the mall” and having to go through checking by a security guard in order to ensure the wellbeing and safety of the mall and hence to protect the area and individuals such as yourself.
So, the term security is all about making things more secure and safe which is the ultimate goal.
With the evolution of science and technology, the term and concept of cybersecurity were established, and this will be further discussed in the blog.
What Is Cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity is the protection of computer systems and networks from information disclosure, theft of, or damage to their hardware, software, or electronic data, as well as from the disturbance or misdirection of the services they provide.
What are the benefits of managing cybersecurity?
- Protect networks and data from unauthorized access
- Improve information security and business continuity management
- Improve company credentials with the correct security controls in place
- Faster recovery times in the event of a breach
It is the psychological manipulation of people into performing actions that end up giving credential information; so social engineering tactics are used by criminals to get easier exploitation
what are the types of social engineering?
- Fishing: urgent voice mails that convince victims that they need to act speedily to protect themselves against risk
- Quid pro quo: exchange of information or service in order to convince victims to react quickly by giving up personal information
- Pretexting: pretexting victims by using a false identity to trick victims into providing the criminals credential information
- Tailgating: cyber threat actors trick employees to get unauthorized access into the company premises
Honeypot is a computer security mechanism set to detect deflect or counteract attempts at unauthorized use of information system
Honeypots can be classified based on their deployment as:
- Production Honeypots
They serve as decoy systems inside fully operating networks and servers and they are implemented by organizations to improve their overall state of security.
- Research Honeypots
Used for educational purposes and security enhancement,(this type of honeypot is used to look for the threats that organizations face and to learn how to better protect against those threats.)
Do keep in mind that:
- Production Honeypots are low interaction honeypots that are easier to deploy
- Production Honeypots give less information about the attacks and attackers than research honeypots so that they are easier to deploy. in the opposite of research honeypots; they are complex to deploy and maintain, capture extensive information and are used primarily by research, military, or government organization
To sum up, everything that has been stated so far cybersecurity roles helps the population respond more quickly to the cybersecurity problems and knowing the threats and risks that they may face, and taking into consideration who to hire the most fitting specialists to do that work.